Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Oooo... has been a while...

Hrmm... Let me see if I can remember what this here blog thing is for...

Oh that's right... Crapping on about nothing. I did warn people this blog would be like an episode of Seinfeld... 3 months of nothing.

So what have I been doing? Well, have been back at uni since early March... That takes up most of my time these days... Semester is nearly over... Should be catching my breath any day now...

On top of that have been doing the usual working, etc... Nothing special there...

Went and saw Curse of the Golden Flower the other day... Good film, even if it is a bit depressing. Chow Yun Fat is a talented actor... If I didn't know it was him playing the king I wouldn't have picked him. He is quite a different leader compared to Anna and the King. Poisoning his wife because she is sleeping with his son from his previous marriage. Just gotta love how some people deal with their problems, don't you?

In some ways, Gong Li plays a similarly bitter and twisted character as she did in Memoirs of a Geisha, but of course wielding different power in that movie. Still, she shows that she can do the bitter and twisted role fairly well. Mind you, I can't say I'd react to the knowledge that I'm being poisoned in any other way - especially since her reaction is pretty much the only thing that she can do.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Interesting, I didn't pick at all that it was Chow Yun Fat. Even when I saw the credits!

Zoya said...

You are back to Uni? Why? I thought you had enough of it. Scary that I have no idea what is going in your life :( We should email or chat one day.

Polina said...

I miss good foreign films in languages other than German. May be I should start buying DVDs from overseas...

PS: I wonder if the person who puts together these word verification images actually likes their job? Today I have 'xlbpyqz'... what talent and diversity of letters!

Eug said...

Welcome back Swampy! It's been so long since you've last posted. Even longer than me!

Chow Yun Fat is in the last installment of Pirates of the Carribean too. For me, his best performances are probably back when he started acting. Not sure what the correct translations are but according to Google, "Man in the Net", "The Bund" (these are soaps/series), "A Better Tomorrow" (I had the DVD), "God of Gamblers", etc. etc.

Bit of trivia - did you know he turned down the role of Morpheus in the Matrix?

chet

Greg said...

Doesn't suprise me that he turned that role down... Though he'd have done a good job of it...

To be honest, I find Chow Yun Fat as one of those actors who can play pretty much anything...

(Oh, and Hows this for a choice of letters: hoetlir... Its almost a word... Mind you, I have no idea what a hoetlir is...)