Friday, December 09, 2005

Harry the Pothead

Tanti managed to convince me to go and see Harry Potter the other day. (Actually, I said "Your choice of film tonight." and she chose Harry...)

I gotta say, what a poorly written film! Horribly predictable... I mean who didn't see the bad guy twist coming a mile away (And I don't mean people who actually have enough time to waste reading the book...)

There was only one film that comes to mind as being more predictable, and that's Jurassic Park. And the only reason that's more predictable is because it had a member of the cast who's sole job it was to keep the audience up to date on what's about to happen.

The other thing that gave me the shits was how much of the movie was obviously designed to be tied into merchandise such as the computer games and other toys. I accept that this will happen, but it doesn't need to be that obvious. It was like Star Wars all over again. I mean really. Is it possible to have a popular film that actually tells a story rather than sells a product? I don't want to pay to see a film that is only an adverisement for other crap. And I'm not going to even start about product placements...

I'm just hoping the next film I see is going to be better...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is obvious that you haven't read Harry Potter. The movie was based on the book. It was not advertising for other things. I don't know what you were talking about. What advertising was there? It is obvious that you went into the movie expecting to hate it and that's what happenned. You have watched the movie trying to find things wrong with it, rather than giving it a go. Tanti next time come see the movie with me!! :)

From a die hard Harry Potter fan!

Greg said...

I don't profess to be a Harry Potter fan, and I wasn't talking about it advertising the book. It was advertising the computer game and the other merchandise.

I'm sure others will like the film, but not me.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching first film, and thinking that certain elements were added to tie into a game - eg the three guardians of the stone,...

But given that the first 3-4 books were written well before Hollywood and EA would have got a hold of it, and now having read the books, I find the big problem is filming those books in less thatn 10hours per episode.

By number of pages theres more going on in this book than 2.5 LOTR films, so you'll have to excuse the way it joins together.

I was a little disappointed with this film, being the first time I've read book before seeing film. Just like LOTR, i think we'll need to take a second look, realising that they can really only put the gist of the book into 2ish hours.

(oh and it would also suck not having seen the first three films first)

Greg said...

I didn't find it overly difficult not having seen the earlier films, which did suprise me a little. I picked up enough to follow what was going on. And I do accept that the book is somewhat larger than the film.

What I'm complaining about probably amounts to what was omitted from the film, as well as what was included. That is not an excuse, however. As a stand-alone entity, I feel it is crap.